Friday, 1 September 2017

The Entry is Everything

If there's one area of the home that inspires eternal dissatisfaction it has to be the entryway!  Ours is constantly clogged with shoes, boots, dog-leashes, books and binders.  Mail ends up thrown on any available surface and Pie runs in from work every day scattering keys, wallet, receipts, legal documents and empty lunch containers.
So I feel very soothed gazing at these images of serene entryways which are saturated with colour yet brilliant in their simplicity: a narrow table, ideally topped with something silver or a vessel of flowers, maybe an umbrella or two in a stand or on a hook, and perhaps a mirror.  All of these objects set off by a gorgeous colour scheme, my favourite being this teal colour which sets off wood, a gilt mirror, silver and ceramics so beautifully.

I love a good William Morris wallpaper, and these examples are some of my favourite patterns:


A demilune table is classic yet so practical, the look of a larger surface tucked against a wall, providing space for flowers and maybe a dish to catch the detritus of those busy people:
I'm on the search for a demilune table!
How about this perfect shade of teal paint? It's Vardo by Farrow and Ball, stunning isn't it:
An entry hall painted in Vardo:
A gorgeous lantern is perfect for a smaller entryway, there's not much room on those slim tables for a light source of any kind.  I found an antique light fixture through a friend some years ago and had it installed in the entry of the stone house:
Rescued from a friend's basement!
What colour is your ideal entryway? Would you go for wallpaper or do you find the idea of a pattern at the entry too busy?
xoxDani

* sources for all images except my own can be found on my pinterest board

8 comments:

  1. My ideal/fantasy hallway would be all white and have lots of light but mine is as dark as Hades and has a light on from 5.00am till bed time. I think a patterned wallpaper is essential in a dark space, white looks horrendous - a lesson learned the hard way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tabs the entry in our current house was painted a brownish shade during the big reno, a colour chosen by the designer. I did brighten it up with some wonderful curtains but the fairly large light fixture needs to be on even if it's a bit dark/cloudy. I think a wallpaper would have been stunning there but the space is rather large for it and with teenagers barreling in and out of the house it would likely get wrecked! White somehow looks clinical and yet dirty in a dark space doesn't it. XX

    ReplyDelete
  3. That light fixture! It would be in my life forever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Itztru I know I love it! I'm trying to source some other antique light fixtures for the stone house, this one just fell into my lap. xx

      Delete
  4. My entryway suffers from the same clogging you've described - books, hats, key fobs, dog leashes, you name it. I'm always happier when the surfaces are cleaned off yet it so rarely happens. The walls are painted in warm colors as our area gets a great deal of sunlight. I have art on the walls, my alternative to wallpaper which my DH will not agree to hang. It was wonderful scrolling through the gallery of gorgeous spaces. The teal paint color is so eye catching!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SD so funny my hubs is not a fan of wallpaper until he sees it up, when we put it in the powder room he loved it. I just love that teal colour. xx

      Delete
  5. My ideal entry is definitely yellow! Yellow with a big ass 90s white and cherry wood staircase and lots of blue and white everywhere. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. SAJ such a classic combination, yellow with blue and white, so pretty. Also would set off Barbie so well. Big ass staircase haha! The "family photo" staircase ;) xx

      Delete